(For all ingredients, please use organic versions if available)Arepas (Corncakes)
1 pound corn flour
Sweet, tender corn kernels
½ tablespoon salt
Tender corn kernels
¾ pound Creole
or yellow potatoes
¾ pound green beans
½ white onion
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon oil
- Blend the corn cernel with a little water.
- Pour the corn flour into a mixing bowl, add in salt to taste, and the blended corn little by little. Mix it.
- Add in the tofu and the oil. Mix it.
- Knead the mixture until it has a nice consistency.
- Make little balls from the dough, and the shape the ball into patty with hand.
- Place the patty on a plate.
- Pre-heat the pan, and fry the patties until both sides are golden brown.
- To prepare the maize soup, cut all the ingredients.
- Boil some water, and when it boils add in the peas, the white onion, the yellow potatoes, the green beans, and the carrot.
- Add in some turmeric, and 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Add in salt to taste. Stir.
- Let the soup boil for a while and let the ingredients become tender.
- Blend the corn kernels with a bit of water.
- Add in the blended corn kernels. Stir.
- Cover the pot, and wait for 5 to 10 minutes.
- When the soup is ready, add in the cilantro and the coriander.
- Serve the soup while hot with fried arepas.