2 cups whole wheat
pastry flour (orunbleached white flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 cup Dutch processed cocoa powder
½ cup oil (canola or grape seed oil)
1 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup waterChocolate Vegan Butter Cream:
8 ounces vegan
¼–½ cup maple syrup
12 ounces regular
or soft tofu (or silken)
1 cup vegan butter
4 ounces vegan
½ cup soy milk creamer
(or soy milk)
- Shift all together the whole-wheat pastry flour, the baking powder, the baking soda and the sea salt.
- Add in the oil, the maple syrup and the vanilla extract.
- Mix everything.
- Take a cup of water, mix it with the cocoa powder and add in half of the water mixture into the flour mixture. Mix.
- Add in the rest of the water into the mixture, and mix for quite some time until everything is fine.
- Pour the mixture into 2 cake pans. Line the pan previously with baking paper and spray it a little bit with baking spray and smooth it out.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the baking pan.
- Put the pan into the oven of 350o F for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the butter cream. Put about an inch of water in a pan.
- Fill in a glass container with 8 ounces of vegan dark chocolate.
- To get the smoothest chocolate possible, use a low temperature to melt it.
- Pureed the chocolate with the maple syrup, tofu and some vanilla until it really smooth.
- Add in the non-hydrogenated butter and mix it up again in a blender for a few seconds until it really smooth and runny.
- Refrigerate the butter cream for a few hours so it will become spreadable.
- After the chocolate butter become firm, put it in an electric mixer and whip it up so it’s nice and light and fluffy.
- To prepare the ganache, take 4 ounces of chocolate and melt it.
- Add some soy milk creamer about a ½ a cup and warm that up again using a hot water bath or a bain-marie of in the microwave for 30 seconds only.
- As soon as the chocolate become to melt, stir it until it become homogenizes. Finish.
- When the cake already baked, spread the chocolate butter cream on the top of one layer cake evenly and then put the other cake on top of it.
- Pour and spread some more butter cream on top of the second cake. And the ice it for some time.
- After that, pour the chocolate ganache on it and let it run down the sides. And ice it again.
- Use the remaining chocolate butter cream to decorate the cake.
- Ready to be served.