(For all ingredients, please use organic versions if available)
2 cups raw cashews, soaked for several hours in water
½ cup rejuvelac
Pinch of sea salt
½ - ¾ teaspoon xanthan gum
2 tablespoons agar agar flakes
⅔ cup water
- Soak the cashew in water for some time.
- Drain the cashew and then put them into a blender.
- Add in ½ cup of rejuvelac, 1 teaspoon of salt, and ½ a teaspoon of xanthan gum.
- Purée them for a minute until it’s really creamy and smooth.
- Put the purée into the bowl.
- Let it sit at room temperature overnight, from 8 to 24 hours, depending on the room temperature and just let it culture.
- To thicken the culture, add in a tablespoon of agar powder into ⅔ cup of cold water. Whisk it really well so it dissolves and then let it cook for a couple of minutes until it’s thick and bubbly.
- Add the agar to the vegan cheese and blend it with a blender.
- Take an ice cream scoop and scoop out the mixture so it will form little balls, and then drop it into an ice bath.
- Put the balls with the water in the refrigerator, just for a few minutes for them to chill.
- Meanwhile, slice the tomatoes.
- Take the cheese balls out of the refrigerator and slice them up.
- Arrange the caprese salad by making layers of vegan cheese, tomatoes, and basil.
- Drizzle it with a little bit of fine olive oil and some balsamic vinegar.
- Sprinkle a little bit of sea salt.
- Ready to be served.