(For all ingredients, please use organic versions if available)Rice Dumplings
600 grams sweet glutinous rice, presoaked
300 grams peanuts, presoaked
½ roll vegan ham, diced into small cubes
½ bamboo shoot, diced into small cubes
300 grams dried tofu, diced into small cubes
300 grams shredded bean curd sheet
300 grams shiitake mushrooms
Preserved daikon radishes, minced
Vegan satay sauce
1 bundle bamboo leaves (for wrapping)
String (to tie 10 dumplings)
Fabric (yellow and brown)
Craft tiger eyes
- Heat the pan and add some oil.
- When the oil is heated, add the shiitake mushroom. Stir it for a bit longer.
- Lower the heat and dish out the mushrooms.
- Pour the mushroom oil into a bowl to be use for glutinous rice later.
- Add some oil to the pan and sauté the dried tofu, add the vegan ham and bamboo shoots at the same time.
- Sauté them until the vegan ham and the dried tofu have turned slightly golden brown.
- Dish them out and turn the heat down.
- Keep all the ingredients in one plate.
- Add oil again a little bit more to sauté the shredded bean curd sheet because it absorbs oil easily.
- Add in the vegan satay sauce and Toona leaves and mix them with the bean curd sheet.
- Add in all the ingredients to the pan and stir-fry them together.
- Add in the preserved daikon radishes.
- Add a pinch of pepper salt.
- Add some soy sauce.
- Turn the heat down, dish out the mixture and turn off the stove.
- Mix the glutinous rice with the oil saved from sautéing the mushrooms.
- Add some salt and the peanuts.
- Mix it well, and set it aside.
- Hang up the strings.
- Take two bamboo leaves, fold up one corner and roll them into a cone shape.
- Put a spoonful of rice into the cone and then add the other ingredients.
- Cover the filling with another spoonful of rice.
- Don’t fill the cone too full, so that it will be able to be sealed.
- Wrap it, fold it, and tie it up tightly so that it doesn’t open when it is boiled.
- Make another until it made up 10 rice dumplings.
- The rice dumplings are ready to be boiled.
- Take a deep pot in order to have the water cover the dumpling.
- Put the rice dumplings into the pot.
- Put the lid on and let it cook over a high heat for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Check the water level every half an hour to see if it covers the dumplings. If not, add more water.
- When it is done, take out the rice dumplings and drain the water.
- Ready to be served.
- First, take a piece of yellow fabric and draw a circle on it and then draw another circle.
- Cut them out.
- Take the brown fabric and draw two smaller circles as ears. Cut them out.
- Draw a nose on any color or shape preferred.
- Leave some space for sewing for each of the formed cut out.
- Take one of the two pieces and put it on the top.
- Draw two bigger ears and cut them out.
- Leave some space at the bottom for sewing.
- Glue the smaller ears to the larger ears.
- Take one round piece and stick the eyes on, and then stick them to the face.
- Stick the nose to the face.
- Draw a ‘W’ shape with a pen on the face as the mouth.
- Stitch the ‘W’ shape with black thread and a needle.
- Start sewing from behind. When it’s done, make a knot at the back. The mouth is ready.
- The tiger’s forehead should have stripes that look like the Chinese character for King.
- Use a piece of brown fabric and cut two long strips.
- Arrange them on the face.
- Cut two additional short ones. Put the shorter ones in the middle.
- Cut four more stripes that are thicker to be glued on both cheeks. The bottom one should be cut shorter.
- Now sew all the pieces together.
- Put the face side down, put them together.
- Take the ears that just cut and the string.
- Knot the string. Leave a long piece of string, so it can be worn around the neck.
- Put the knot in the middle and then start sewing.
- Stitch along the lines drawn earlier.
- Leave a hole there and stuff some cotton in.
- Dab the cotton in the sandalwood powder for some fragrance.
- Stuff the cotton in until it’s filled.
- Seal the hole.
- Put the two pieces together, and then sew it. Hide the knot inside.
- The tiger fragrance sachet is ready.